Wednesday 9 July 2014

Ⓥ Semi Raw Banoffee Pie

I remembered that I had a tin of soy condensed milk to use up, but really wanted to make a more healthy version of the banoffee pie that I liked so much last time.  So, I thought I would do a nut and date base with soy condensed milk, banana, and a raw coconut cream topping.

For the base I blended together

1.5 Cups walnuts
1 Cup dates
3 Tablespoons of Cocoa
3 Tablespoons agave syrup

I put this in a flan dish and squashed it down, then put it in the fridge.
 



For the topping I put a tin of coconut milk in the fridge for 24 hours and separated the solid cream from the liquid, I put the liquid in the fridge to use in something else later

I blended the coconut cream together with
0.25 Cups melted coconut oil
3 Tablespoons agave syrup
1 Banana
Pinch salt
1 Teaspoon xanthan gum powder
 



To be honest, I blended all the above ingredients bar the xanthan gum first and found that it separated.  I wasn't sure why but thought the gum might do the trick to get it back on track, it did.  If anything, I might have overdone it with the gum, as the cream topping was a tad thick, so I have reduced the amount in this recipe.

I had simmered the soy condensed milk in the unopened tin for four hours the day before and put the unopened tin in the fridge.



So, now I put a layer of banana on top of the walnut base, poured over the soy condensed cream and spooned on the topping.










It is now two days later and I have just had my second piece.  It is great, the base has got a sticky quality about it and the soy condensed milk, although I imagine full of sugar is lovely.  I have done an hour on my bike turbo today so what the hell, maybe I will have another piece, and it is mainly raw too!






No comments:

Post a Comment